About me: I am a storyteller and story collector, a fan of dogs and ice cream, a little sister, an aunt, and a country mouse who fell in love with the city. I'm also the author of Anna, Banana, and the Friendship Split and other books in the Anna, Banana chapter-book series, the picture book The Teacher's Pet, the forthcoming YA novel Always Forever Maybe, and more. My essays have been published by Italian Cooking & Living, The Writer, and the New York Times. I play fiddle and write lyrics for the electro-country band Owen Lake and the Tragic Loves.
My name is pronounced uh-NEE-kuh REE-see. You can listen to me say it here. Most of my friends call me Nica.
The official bio: Anica Mrose Rissi grew up on an island off the coast of Maine, where she read a lot of books and loved a lot of pets. She now tells and collects stories, makes up songs on her violin, and eats lots of cheese with her friends in Princeton, New Jersey, where she lives with her husband, Jeff. As a former book editor turned full-time writer and storyteller, Anica has spoken with kids and adults across the country about all stages of the writing process, from ideas and drafting to revisions and beyond. She tweets about bookish things and her dog, Arugula, at @anicarissi, which is also her handle on Instagram.
Want to know even more? Check out these articles and interviews:
- My Writing and Reading Life: Anica Mrose Rissi, Author of The Teacher's Pet (The Children's Book Review, June 20, 2017)
- The Teacher's Pet Q&A with Author Anica Mrose Rissi (Smart, Simple, Savvy, June 10, 2017)
- Un"leash"ing Creativity by Erin Soderberg Downing & Anica Mrose Rissi (Nerdy Book Club, January 24, 2016)
- Anica Mrose Rissi: From Library Violinist to Children's Book Writer by Elke Dorr (Island Ad-Vantages, August 20, 2015)
- A Girl's Best Friend: Author Explores Girlhood Friendships and Fallouts by Jennifer Osborn (The Ellsworth American, July 2, 2015)
- Interview with Anica Mrose Rissi, Author of Anna, Banana, and the Friendship Split (The Hiding Spot, May 6, 2015)
- Wednesday Debut Interview: Anna, Banana, and the Friendship Split by Anica Mrose Rissi (Operation Awesome, May 6, 2015)
- Anica Mrose Rissi & Arugula (Coffee with a Canine, May 4, 2015)
- The F Words: Anica Rissi by Meg Blocker (The Equals Record, August 5, 2012)
Looking for writing or publishing advice? I've got some! Try these links:
- Productive Procrastination by Anica Mrose Rissi (The Writer, August 2016)
- Price of Promotion by Anica Mrose Rissi (The Writer, March 2016)
- One True Rule (published online as Dogs and the True Rules of Writing) by Anica Mrose Rissi (The Writer, January 2016)
- 9 Must-Follow Manuscript Rules by Anica Mrose Rissi (Writer's Digest, September 2010)
- YA Today: Agents and Editors in the Young Adult Genre Tell You What's Hot, What's Not, and What You Need to Know to Break In compiled by Jessica Strawser (Writer's Digest, May/June 2010)