Happy Valentine's Day!
What better way to celebrate than by falling in love with a book? Here are a few that captured my heart.
- Tales Designed to Thrizzle, Vol. 1 by Michael Kupperman is expertly absurd. It became an instant favorite from page one.
- What I Loved by Siri Hustvedt grabbed onto my heart and broke it to pieces. A new friend gave it to me, and in return I gave her:
- The Empathy Exams by Leslie Jamison, which, yes, you've been hearing about everywhere, for excellent reasons. (Her novel, The Gin Closet, is wonderful too.)
- The Actual & Truthful Adventures of Becky Thatcher by Jessica Lawson made me want to climb out my window in search of mischief and adventure (preferably with Becky by my side).
- Books & Islands in Ojibwe Country by Louise Erdrich is one to read slowly and savor.
- We Need New Names by NoViolet Bulaway is one to fly through, swept up in the story and the voice.
- Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman isn't out until April, but you should go line up outside the bookstore now--it's that great.
- This One Summer by Jillian Tamaki and Mariko Tamaki received both a Printz Honor and a Caldecott Honor for its excellent illustrations and storytelling. It's vibrant through and through.
- Louise Loves Art by Kelly Light: "I love art! It's my imagination on the outside." <3 <3 <3
What books are warming your heart these days?